(NOTE: We will use Financial Wellness Fridays as a way to provide insights on how financial and money professionals think about, lecture on and practice financial discipline. These posts will follow Tony Steuer’s Get Ready Formula and we will provide a summary of his weekly recommendations from this 52 week workbook titled The Get Ready Blueprint – A 52 Week Guide to Changing the Way You Think About Money. This is a true workbook with areas to pencil in responses, habit and journaling.)
- In week 1️⃣ you should’ve set your North Star, your mission to financial competency
- In week 2️⃣, you should’ve defined your goals and priorities
- In week 3️⃣, you should match you goals to the life stage you are preparing for
- In week 5️⃣, Tony walks readers through the importance of how to Organize Your Financial Documents
- Here is week 6️⃣, Tony discusses the importance of decluttering your financial documents…when to hold onto, and when to dispose of documents.
Part of organizing your financial life is knowing where documents are but also knowing what documents you need to keep and which ones you can safely disgorge from your home.
Here is a simple table that you can use to help with your organization but also some guidance about which documents can be purged and which documents you should hold onto.
For documents that should be purged you have the option of scanning those docs into a digital format, but you should destroy the originals via a comprehensive shredder.
THE GET READY GOAL SYSTEM:
Think about how you think
Relevancy to you
Evaluate your options
Assemble the pieces