This is the first in a series of brief interviews with speakers, presenters, moderators or panelists at the Claims and Litigation Management 2020 Annual Conference, which is being held March 18-20 in Dallas, TX. You can register for the event here.
This interview features Stephen P. Hunckler, CPCU, CCP, AIC, Chief Claims Officer, State Compensation Insurance Fund (CA) and Member of the CLM Advisory Board.
- What is your role at the 2020 CLM Annual Conference? Recipient of the CLM Lifetime Achievement Award.
- How did you get involved with the CLM? I first got involved at the very first Chief Claim Officers’ Summit in NY City in 2012 sponsored by The CLM. Afterwards I volunteered to Chair/Co-Chair the future Chief Claim Officers’ Summits. I also served as a Chancellor at the Claim College, Help deliver the opening primer for new incoming students as well as build curriculum in the Casualty and Leadership schools. I have also served on the CLM Advisory Board since its inception.
- What do you see as the biggest challenges/opportunities for the Insurance Ecosystem in the next 5 years? The biggest challenge for our industry is the ability to prepare ourselves for and drive technology changes. We are ripe and ready for all types of advanced analytics, predictive modeling and robotic type enhancements. We can never replace the human element of gaining the trust of claimants, injured workers and insureds, however, technology can help streamline the processes and make them more meaningful and timely.
- What is the best piece of advice you have for someone building an insurance career? Not to sound like a beer commercial; Stay thirsty my friend… continue to develop and feed your intelectual curiosity. Seek out educational opportunities, take stretch assignments, get and be a mentor and find comfort in discomfort.
- Besides your own session, what are you most excited about at CLM 2020?
There are so many interesting topics, the results of the defense counsel survey breakout and session on collaboration between WC and GL claims have particular interest.
About Carly Burnham
Carly Burnham began her insurance career in 2004 as an office assistant at an agency in her hometown of Duluth, MN. She got licensed as a producer while working at that agency and progressed to serve as an office manager. Working in the agency is how she fell in love with the industry. She saw firsthand the good that insurance consumers experienced by having the proper protection. When Carly moved to Des Moines in 2010, she decided to commit to the industry, and she completed her CPCU in one year finishing it in 2012 and attending commencement in New Orleans. She completed her MBA at Iowa State University in 2014. During this time, she and Tony founded a Gen Y Associate Resource Group at Nationwide in Des Moines. After they had both left Nationwide, Tony recruited Carly to co-author and manage InsNerds.com. She has the difficult task of keeping his constant flow of crazy ideas focused and helping to flesh them out into useful articles. Carly enjoys sharing knowledge and ideas about the future of the industry and finds the website a good outlet for this passion. Carly is involved in the the CPCU Society Underwriting Interest Group. She also writes "Next Wave" a monthly column in the "Perspectives" section of Best's Review.